Monday, January 25, 2010

book #1

First book I started and finished reading this year: Labyrinth by Kate Mosse. This is a thick pretty book that I've wanted to read for a long while. I don't really have a 'type' when it comes to books because I'm ridiculously open-minded but this was definitely different. Maybe I've never read a book like this before, maybe it's so unique that it's impossible. I don't know. All I know is that it left me saying "eh?".

Most annoying thing about this book is the random French and Occitan. I needed a straight translation every time they used the words, not just the first time. My memory for random phrases of languages isn't that good. And as much as I hate flicking to a glossary I tried it a couple of times, but no, it's a select glossary. Not so helpful.

I loved the fact that it was all secret societies with weird rituals and underground sanctuaries and forgotten treasures. I want in on a secret society. I'm not so keen on devoting my life to find a book though. That was a little weird.

Following the weird train of thought: the whole "oh yeah, I'm 800 years old, and I'm sick of living, but whatever I'll do it anyway" was hard to believe. I accepted that you were 800 years old with difficulty but trying to make me believe you hadn't seriously considered suicide when you had nothing to live for was stupid. But then I think immortality is a curse, not a blessing. So maybe that view is interfering a bit.

Coolest thing about this book was the fact that I learnt all about the history of Southern France in the 13th century without a text book. The whole thing made me cranky though. Religious wars seem like an oxymoron to me. War kills the innocence and purity and isn't that what they're aiming for?? I don't know enough for a religious debate but honestly, I can't be the only one who thinks that it's mad.

I give it 3 out of 5. I liked it enough that I read it pretty quickly, but not enough to recommend to all my friends.

There is a list of books in the back for 'further reading'. The Da Vinci Code by Dan Brown is on there. I liked that book. I'm seriously considering trying to find and read the others on the list. As long as I can avoid the random French...

No comments:

Post a Comment