Monday, March 14, 2011

vampire academy

Vampire Academy by Richelle Mead was an amazing series. Not only were they cheap books there was some quality writing in these. M and E have/are reading them and also like them. I started them while I was in Tamworth. I actually ran around unsuccessfully, desperately trying to find the next one for the train home.

The main character is kick-ass, which was definitely overdue since the books I’ve been reading lately have had really wimpy girls who rant and complain about shit all. She can win in a fight, stands up for what she believes in and doesn’t take other people’s drama.

It was a different take on the whole vamp saga. It’s an overdone genre, first to admit it. But I do love vampire fiction. They tend to focus on forbidden love too much though. Vampire academy had this but a whole different spin on it. It also had the mysticism and magik done in such a way that it was interesting and captivating.

I did not like the fact that the author assumed we are all thick and therefore had to spell everything out. Our ‘oh cool’ moment was two chapters before the characters ‘oh cool’ moment. So you did hate the characters sometimes, the whole ‘you idiot! It’s so flipping obvious!’ moments. But, in contrast, she did chuck in a bunch of extreme story line changes that I did not see coming from the beginning.

Weird fact I feel like sharing: one of the characters just randomly has a name change in the last book. Apparently the printing here and in the Americas wasn't in synch so we got two names for one guy. There was an explanation at the start of the last book, which was such an "ah, this is why the books are under 15$ and available at woolworths" moment.

5 stars, my friends. I’ll read it again and I’ll recommend it again. I may even lend it again like I did with E but I’ll probs read them again before that. They are that good. Especially because it’s not sugar coated. It’s realistic despite the fact it’s fantasy.

p.s. I've stopped counting the books I've read for the title. It's just making me a little crazy so titles it is. Also, on the train to and from uni I've been typing up about the books I've read and then just forgotten to post it when I get home. Which is just dumb. So that's why there are about 4 book related posts in a row...

No comments:

Post a Comment