Sunday, December 19, 2010

book #11

When I was adventuring in Tamworth I did quite a bit of reading and therefore ran out of books to read before my multiple hour train trip home. I borrowed "Crawlers" by John Shirley to read on the way home. Just clearing the air, my Pop reads science fiction. And that's about it. I was tossing up between this and another about aliens in love with bacteria or something, so I went with this one.

I'm all for stepping outside the norm every once in a while, but theres stepping and then there's leaping off the cliff of normalcy. This book started with a guy peeing himself because his mutant colleague is about to kill him. Yes. I was reading this on a train, next to a snobby old lady, trying not to laugh out loud at the ridiculousness.

The sad thing is I've read a book similar to this before. Nanotechnology taking over doesn't really have far to stretch out originality wise. Although this one used organic matter ( ie people ) as part of their make up and evolution process which was new. The idea of my parents being taken over by robots and then posing as my parents is mildly terrifying. It was decently written though. I ripped through it, so that's a plus.

I'm thinking 2.5 stars. Mostly because I want people to read it despite it's ridiculous nature. It's more a "read this, it's hilarious!", rather than a "read this, it's brilliant!".

No comments:

Post a Comment