Sunday, June 6, 2010

book #8

Love and other four letter words by Carolyn Mackler was cute. The whole young adult fiction genre is odd in that you get some really intelligent complicated plot lines with memorable characters and themes and then you get books like this that have a just too happy ending. Nothing ever lines up that perfectly.

Actually, it was kinda scary. Flash backs to sixth grade, when I was most definitely going to be a writer. It was more of a FUCK OFF, STOP ASKING WHAT I WANT TO BE WHEN I GROW UP. FINE. I'LL BE A WRITER? DOES THAT MAKE YOU HAPPY/SHUT YOU UP? And then suddenly I'm writing stories and going to writing workshops and imagining what the cover of my first published book will look like. Anyway, this book reminded me of this idea I've had for a book. I've had this idea for a really long time. I'm kinda keen on starting writing and seeing where it goes.

Anyhoo... the book. I hate when I can relate to lame main characters. I was able to relate to this chick in some aspects but all the other aspects were SUPER LAME. I don't know what else to tell you. I love that she got to go to New York. She should have been more excited/grateful. Her friends' theory that people look like dogs was cute. I also try and imagine what animal a person would be, just not limiting it to breeds of dogs ( mostly because there are small dogs and big dogs and that's about as far as I get in telling them apart ).

So 3 stars? Yeah. 3 stars. Good stuff.

p.s. I've ben trying to blog about this for a while now. There was uni and then no picture on the net and then utter stubbornness to get my scanner to work. The stubbornness paid off though, I now know how to use it. It's ancient though.

p.p.s. I have decided that once I've finished reading the Anita Blake series I'm re-reading Harry Potter. I can't put into words how excited about this I am. I love Harry Potter. I've been reading fan fiction for too long though and need to get the original plot line straight in my head. And I have all the Harry Potter's so there won't be any interruptions while I seek out the next book :)

No comments:

Post a Comment